Summer is probably the best time of the year for outdoor activities, whether it’s running, swimming, or hiking everything is that much more fun when the sun is shining. With the good also comes the bad, summer heat can suck the fun out of any activity if you are not careful, especially with intense heat and humidity. Here are some tips that can help your prepare for any activity under the sun.
1. Timing is Everything: Try to avoid working out between the hours of 10 am and 3 pm, it just so happens to be the hottest part of the day. An early morning workout is a great way to start your day but it is also a great way to avoid the heat, especially if it’s suppose to be a scorcher.
2. Black Attracts the Sun: Wearing light colors reflect the sun. The hi-tech running gear is made of material meant to keeping your internal temperature down.
3. Red Lobster Anyone? WEAR SUNSCREEN! Even on a cloudy day you can get burned.
4. High Quality H2O: Hydrate before, during, and after exercising. During your work out you should take a drink of water roughly every 15 minutes even if you are not thirsty.
5. Replenish What You Lose: It is important replenish your electrolytes and sodium that you lost while exercising. That can be accomplished with sports drinks (preferably low calorie), coconut
water (has less sodium than sport drinks, keep this in mind), or tablets.
6. Most Important: Listen to your body! If you feel nauseous or dizzy it is OK to stop and rest, it is actually recommended!